Who are we?
Thesis, a digital agency in Portland, OR. We’re hell-bent on humanizing the relationship between people and brands, which starts with our teams: real people making real work.
Come as you are. Bring what you bring.
We've been around for 17 years and are a certified B Corp. Thesis at its core is a full-service agency that believes our strength is in our approach—that the work we make is only as strong as the thought—and data—we put behind it.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist to lead our payroll and accounts payable processes . We’re looking for someone who loves digging into details with the day to day responsibilities of accounts payable and payroll. Experience with Paylocity is preferred but not required. You will be a member of the Finance and Accounting team and work closely with many other departments in our organization.
- Processes semi-monthly payroll for 250+ employees
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices
- Assists with month end close process including preparation of entries, accruals, reconciliations, and analytics
- Set-up and maintains state payroll compliance
- Performs year-end projects such as W2 and 1099 preparation
- Performs other payroll related duties, including ad hoc projects/data requests as needed.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures
- Receives, processes, codes, verifies, and reconcilies invoices
- Maintains documents and processes for our independent contractors
- Verifies and processes credit card transactions
- Reviews and processes expense reports
- Establishes and maintains relationships with new and existing vendors
- Processes transactions and performs accounting duties such as account maintenance, recording entries and reconciling accounts
- Fixed asset maintenance and tracking
- Maintains prepaid accounts
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in multi-state payroll work, with at least two (2) years as a senior level.
- Extensive knowledge of payroll functions including experience in multi-state processing and setup, preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
- Experience processing Accounts Payable preferred but not required.
- Attention to detail, ability to take initiative, as well as excellent management and prioritization abilities.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficient with payroll software, experience with Paylocity preferred.
- Bachelor degree in business administration or accounting is a plus but not required.
Still with us?
Cool! Let's talk.
Workplace equity is not a single checkbox.
It's a new way of thinking, of working, and of moving through the world. At Thesis, we prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion. You'll see this in our hiring practices, growth plans, and workplace programs—because our agency, our work, and our society are better when diverse perspectives come together.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age