Who are we?
Thesis is a digital agency in Portland, OR. We're hell-bent on humanizing the relationship between people and brands, which starts with our teams: real people making real work. Come as you are. Bring what you bring. We’ll all be better for it. The Thesis name is new to us, but we've been around for 20 years. In contrast to our former eRoi identity that reflected what we do, we chose the name Thesis as it better represents how we do it: a full-service agency believing our strength is in our approach—believing the work we make is only as strong as the thought—and data—we put behind it. That sounds intense. But make no mistake, we also play real hard.
We need a stellar copywriter to breathe narrative life into experiences, services, products, and branding — in this case, global giants in music and media, food and beverage, and technology. As a copywriter, you'll craft compelling, precise, and clear digital messaging that helps readers connect with our client and their products. You'll support fellow writers in doing the same, while collaborating with designers, developers, and account managers to create strong and effective projects. You should care intensely about your work without conflating work ego with personal ego. While you'll be working closely with clients, our agency's integrated teams collaborate equally and share accountability, in failure and success alike. Be prepared to let the best ideas rise to the top.
As a person, you are
● Driven by creativity, curiosity, and problem-solving
● A strong and approachable communicator (including being an active, present listener)
● A wiz at tailoring communications to specific audiences
● Well versed in writing short- and long-form copy with clarity, nuance, and substance
● Able to find inspiration in—and bring enthusiasm to—both production work and conceptual projects
● Alert to the difference between opinion and research-informed solutions
● Good at receiving and giving critical feedback in a constructive, open, and active way
● Skilled in English grammar, syntax, structure, etc.
● Allergic to lazy writing and jargon
● No bullshit; a lot of heart
As a worker, you will
● Write intelligent and thoughtful marketing copy in the service of specific campaigns, business goals, and great user experience
● Keep your eye on consistency in style, quality, and tone of voice
● Bring your best self to ALL projects—from day-to-day creative production work to portfolio-worthy conceptual work
● Find opportunity in creative constraints (mad deadlines, incomplete briefs, odd client requests, etc.)
● Research unfamiliar topics to write as if you're an expert on the subject
● Nail deadlines and maintain attention to detail in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
● Collaborate with low ego
● Ask lots of questions
As for experience, you need
● Substantive writing portfolio demonstrating your written work for real-world clients (multimedia, food and beverage, technology, and/or software brands are a bonus)
● 3+ years of professional and project-based copywriting experience (or equivalent experience)
● BA in English, journalism, advertising, marketing, or related field of study (or equivalent experience)
● Familiarity with the design process, critiques, and design thinking (AKA how your words work with design)
● Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style
Above all, be hungry to learn and grow beyond this job description.
Still with us?
Cool! Let's talk.
Workplace equity is not a single checkbox. It's a crucial way of thinking, of working, and of moving through the world. At Thesis, we prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion. You'll see this in our hiring practices, growth plans, and workplace programs—because our agency, our work, and our society are better when diverse perspectives come together.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age
Your application was submitted successfully.